Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

NEEM : The Oil that Kills..

Happy Thursday Everyone~

I discovered that Neem oil is definitely the safest, most effective pest control. Not only did it kill 100% of my cricket population but it also has a very pleasant aroma (kind of nutty). Neem oil, also called neem seed oil or neem tree oil, is the oil pressed from the seed kernels of the neem tree. Neem is a tropical, evergreen tree that originated in India. The Oil is produced by crushing and pressing the kernels, and then purifying the extract. When searching for neem oil you make sure to look for cold pressed oil because heat destroys the active ingredients. There are a variety of recipes for home use, I like to keep things simple so I added 5ml of neem oil to 25ml of veggie oil in a small spray bottle and was able to spray with no complications. You can apply this directly to pests and edibles or even your soil. You can also apply around your home if you have pests like gnats and mosquitos just make sure you mark if spraying on the floor so you don't slip:). I have a small container next to my sink that I fill with compostable throw-aways like egg shells, peelings, coffee grounds, etc..and I have noticed gnats around it. So I started using neem oil inside of it and a few days later... no gnats. 


Peace
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment