Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Need some Lactobacillus

Happy Wednesday Everyone~

I don't have much to report this week. Matt and I think there is an Iron deficiency in both fish tanks and that could be why my plants are slowly withering away. Last week I did some follow-up research on how I could lower the pH and found a few good resources. Everything I found though suggested adding a iron-based compound which is great because its an easy fix but its kind of an expensive hunch. So Matt suggested inoculating my own bacteria to add to one tank. We think there is not enough 'good' bacteria to jump start a healthy cycle and maintain a desirable pH state, so I inoculated lactobacillus (provided by Jeanette) in 6 tubes of TSB (trypticase soy broth). I did this last week on Friday which provided plenty of time over the weekend for the bacteria to reproduce. I added all six tubes to the tank with the higher pH reading of 8.7 and now its a waiting game. I also read that over feeding can contribute to iron deficiencies as well so now I am the only one feeding, but thank you to the STEMMERS that did help maintain a feed schedule! This technique has been done before but no hard evidence has been reported. Hopefully this will work, fish tails crossed:)

Peace,
Jenni

Inoculating 6 tubes of TSB with Jeanette's over production of lactobacillus


Dying a slow death...:(


No comments:

Post a Comment