Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Finally on track

Happy Thursday Everyone~

Last week was a mess, my plants were dying (in all my systems), there were too many variables to pinpoint why, and I was just overwhelmed with the stress of possibly not succeeding in my project by semesters end. So I did some research on the fish tank wicking system and found a few forums about aquaponic maintenance such as recommended pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. I decided to investigate those particular levels because they are essentially the life cycle of my systems. Fish excrete ammonia in their waste, Ammonia-oxidizing-bacteria in the system is supposed to convert that into nitrite, then nitrite-oxidizing-bacteria is supposed to convert that into nitrate, and the end product (nitrate) is the main dish for the plants floating on top. When you initially set up a new system, there is no bacteria, so there is a spike in ammonia levels. After 2 weeks the clay media will have provided enough surface area and ammonia to commence AOB to multiply. After another 2 weeks NOB should be present to convert nitrite to nitrate. This helpful information was overseen when I started this project; I immediately planted when I should have given my system time to mature and monitored levels early on in my project, but better late than never I suppose.

After a series of tests I am pleased to report that the two wicking systems floating on top of the fish are functioning properly. Last week I reported that the pH levels were too acidic and when I checked them yesterday they were in a more favoring range. Now that I have the systems under control I need to focus on maintaining it.

An ideal system after initial set up is little to no ammonia (<1ppm), little to no nitrite (<1ppm), rich in nitrate (>4ppm) and a pH ranging above 6.3 and below 8.7.


I used Wards self filling ampules to test ammonia (pic above). Same procedure
was used to test nitrite and nitrate.

Results from Tank 1 - 2 fish

Results from Tank 2 - 3 fish

These ampules were dated so I used the water I refill tanks with as my control.
WOW. What a survivor!
To sum things up, the tanks had little to no ammonia, little to no nitrite (tank 2 had a very small amount) and very rich in nitrate (>5ppm). The pH of Tank 1 read 7.6, Tank 2 read 8.5, and the control water read 7.8.

I did notice a few more seeds that sprouted in both tanks so I will be monitoring them.

Peace,
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment