Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Wicking gone wild

Happy Thursday Everyone~

This past Wednesday was a very productive day for me! I finished a wicking system using two 5 gallon buckets (compliments of Josh and Matt), clay media, and I plan to fill my reservoir with the nutrient fish water that I happen to have on hand. I also got creative and made a miniature version of the true wicking system (the kind that uses soil) and I hope something small and green will inhabit it. Tomorrow I am going to build one more system so that I can compare all three and have a thorough report by the end of this semester on which system is most effective, efficient, and overall enjoyable to have. Unfortunately my seedling are still not ready for transplant so to jump start a plant for my 5 gallon bucket Patty (from the garden club) helped me snip a cherry tomato plant to transplant. It is currently in the floating apparatus on top of fish tank and as soon as it starts to root, into the 5 gal bucket it will go. Overall I am having a lot of fun with this project and I plan on incorporating a system in my home soon. Here are some pics:

Meet P.O.D- made out of recycled container, clay ball media, 2  used dryer sheet, pvc, and soil
Here is the beautiful cherry tom, I hope she roots easily:)

Materials for wicking system with out the use of soil.

Wicks from bottom of plant container will rest in the reservoir filled with fish poo water :)
Wicks are made from a bag that should not have been washed :(


I added a sponge inside and outside the plant container to secure it - so it won't slip out

Three wicks coming through bottom of reservoir up through plant container


Plant container filled with clay ball media. The idea is that water will wick from the
reservoir and feed the plant as needed.




Have a great weekend Everyone

Peace,
Jenni


  

No comments:

Post a Comment