Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

NEEM OIL

Happy Thursday Everyone~

So excited to back at school!!. This past tuesday Matt got me another batch of crickets for my next round of natural pesticide experiment. I am using neem oil, which is a naturally occurring pesticide found in seeds from the neem tree. It has been used for hundreds of years to control pests and diseases. I made my neem pesticide in a 32 oz bottle using 5 ml of neem oil, water, and a few drops of liquid soap to emulsify the oil in water. Azadirachtin is the most active component for repelling and killing pests and can be extracted from neem oil. The portion left over is called clarified hydrophobic neem oil. I recorded my population after day one of exposure and my results were as follows:

control group 1 - 20    indirect application group 1 - 14     direct application group 1 - 8
control group 2 - 20    indirect application group 2 - 17     direct application group 2 - 12
control group 3 - 20    indirect application group 3 - 16     direct application group 3 - 12

My results indicate that direct exposure of neem oil is more effective that an indirect exposure. This means that if I were to use this in my garden against pest it would be better for me to apply this pesticide directly to pesty pests. YEY! I cant wait to see what my results yield after day 3. I'll find out tomorrow. . . after beer tour:)

Peace



No comments:

Post a Comment