Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

DEAD CRICKETS....

Happy Thursday Everyone :)

I am so excited to finally start my first project this semester! I am making my own pesticides and testing the effectiveness on crickets. Matt has been so helpful at getting the materials I need and giving me different ways to approach the research aspect. Thanks Matt! So far I have set up all the habitats I plan to use : I am using 3 control groups, 3 indirect application groups, and 3 direct application groups. Each group will contain 20 crickets. The goal is to apply my pesticide (one at a time) to both test groups and record the population at hourly increments up to a 48hr period. Theoretically my results should yield a decrease in population no matter which pesticide I use that I will have prepared. Unfortunately I still needed 2 items to start this project - Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) and more importantly CRICKETS! Matt ordered crickets through amazon and not only were they nearly microscopic but they were all DEAD ON ARRIVAL! I did not have any crickets to test :( Needless to say I'm more eager than ever to get this project rolling.. I cant wait to hear what the rest of you are doing. Here is what each habitat looks like: each has a small cube of sponge (water source), egg cartons (crickets like to hide), and each will contain a small amount of food.


  Peace
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment